College towns can offer a lot to retirees:
- Cultural & sporting events
- Life-time-learning programs
- Diverse nightlife
- Infinite dining options
- Exercise trails and fitness facilities
- Public transportation and a cab system
Those are some of the things that make Oxford, MS attractive to retirees. Not only is the University of Mississippi in the center of town, but Northwest Mississippi Community College is just a quick bus ride across Hwy 6. Additionally, Oxford is home to a regional medical facility and several Senior’s housing options.
So, what if you are considering retirement to a college town? Will you be purchasing a house or condo to age-in-place? Will you be joining a retirement community with an assisted living facility for future use? Here are a few things to consider:
- Know the cost. From single family housing to condos, what will be your fixed costs: HOA or condo fees, lawn maintenance, etc. Can you afford the cost of living
- How close to campus and the town’s amenities can you live? Does public transportation exist in the area you are considering to live?
- Know restrictions: visitors, pets, cars/RVs/boats, and gardening.
- Investigate the true benefits of the college or university if you want to take courses: tuition waivers, limit on classes per semester, online access and accessibility to campus events.
For more information about choosing a retirement destination, Click Here
“You can count on an SRES to guide you through the process of buying or selling your home, making the transaction less stressful and more successful.”
Eileen Saunders SRES, REALTOR with Tommy Morgan Realtors 2092 Old Taylor Road Oxford, MS 38655 662-404-0816/662-234-5344 Equal Housing