Bathrooms are an important part of the house. There are either too many (that need cleaning) or not enough. Bathrooms need to be a certain size for comfort. Buyers want a tub or a shower or both. Double sink or single sink.
The counter top is always a sticking point: what is it made of? How high or how low is it? And what about the finish on the fixtures? Tile floors, wood or carpet? There are too many options and everyone has a different requirement for this room. After all, an article by the American Grandparents Association claims that Americans average 30 minutes a day in the bathroom. (I really think its a lot longer).
Like the kitchen, the bathrooms can look dated quickly but with a little work, your dated bathrooms can look great even to a picky buyer.
Here are some tips:
- Clear floor space. Put away trash cans, plungers, cleaners, hampers and the extra toilet paper holder on a stand.
- Invest in a new shower curtain.
- If you have a sliding shower door, repair or replace caukling around the frame, clean the glass so it sparkles.
- Keep reading material out of sight.
- Place personal items in the cabinet.
- Hang matching towels. Perhaps they can match the new shower curtain.
- Keep the rug by the sink clean or remove it. If it takes up too much floor space, pack it away.
- Clear the counter tops. Put makeup and other items away in a drawer.
- Remove excess soap and shampoo bottles from the shower/tub area.
- Fix leaking and dripping faucets. Replace if necessary.
- Fix grout in the tub/shower and floor where applicable.
- Replace or paint the vanity cabinets if possible. Update drawer pulls, tighten cabinet door hinges.
- Tighten towel racks.
- Consider hiring a cleaning person to come through each week just for the bathrooms to keep them clean for showings.
- Linen closets in the bathroom should be tidy.
- Replace broken toilet paper holders.
- Clean mirrors.
- Make sure all light bulbs work.
- Clean your shower head. Buyers will turn it on and if it is mostly clogged, they will view it as a problem.
Eileen Saunders, REALTOR with Tommy Morgan Realtors, 2092 Old Taylor Road, Oxford, MS 38655 662-404-0816 or 662-234-5344 Equal Housing